Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Clash of the Titans

Up to this point, I was somebody who would never question authority.  I did as I was told.  And I believed what the pastor of my church told me to believe...because God put him in charge.  So, all I needed was for my pastor to agree with the author of this book.  And why wouldn't he?  It all seemed so very plain to me.  If you fixed "eternal", everything fell into place.  No more problem with predestination. He doesn't choose some and not others, he chooses some for the benefit of the others.  Same reason he choose the Jews...not instead of, just first.  First fruits, second fruits...these illustrations now made more since. (and each in his proper order, a first-fruit Christ, afterwards those who are the Christ's...then...the last enemy is done away -- death. 1 Corn. 15:23-26All the bread rises eventually, just not all at the same time. (Matt. 13:33)


No more problem with God "wishing" he could save all (but He can't accomplish His will) vs. God being able to do all things.   TIME is our problem, and the fact we cannot understand being outside of time and that God is not restricted by time.  "Failure is only possible if you have a time limit" was a quote I saw once, and now I knew God had no time limit.  He can and will accomplish everything he wants, which is to "reconcile all things to himself". (Col. 1:19) Every knee will bow...willingly.  Not once someone dies God will force then to admit they were wrong before he casts them away forever--of course not!  We can completely and utterly trust God...wasn't this great!!!! 


I honestly could barely contain myself waiting for my pastor's "approval" to believe what God so clearly showed me.  It was going to be so great seeing the look of joy on his face, and how excited he would be to finally be able to give comfort to those who think their loved ones are burning forever with no hope of relief.  There are no words to describe my disappointment and confusion that he did not.*  And suddenly I didn't have permission to believe it.  What do I do now?


* side note...I don't mention this to make my pastor look bad.  It was my honest emotion at the time.  I can appreciate and sympathize with how much pressure there must be if your pastoring a church and everyone is always looking to you for answers.